1. The U.S. Department of the Treasury poisoned alcohol during Prohibition - and people died.
2. The U.S. Public Health Service lied about treating black men with syphilis for more than 40 years.
3. More than 100 million Americans received a polio vaccine contaminated with a potentially cancer-causing virus.
4. Parts of the Gulf of Tonkin Incident, which led to U.S. intervention in Vietnam, never happened.
5. Military leaders reportedly planned terrorist attacks in the U.S. to drum up support for a war against Cuba.
6. The government tested the effects of LSD on unwitting U.S. and Canadian citizens.
7. In 1974, the CIA secretly resurfaced a sunken Soviet submarine with three nuclear-armed ballistic missiles.
8. The U.S. government sold weapons to Iran, violating an embargo, and used the money to support Nicaraguan militants.
9. A public relations firm organized congressional testimony that propelled U.S. involvement in the Persian Gulf War.
Then people wonder why we don’t trust the government.
- Iran-Contra scandal, 14 convictions
- Decisions being made by Nancy’s astrologer
- HUD scandal, 16 convictions. $18 billion in taxpayer money lost
- Savings & Loan scandal, over $1 trillion in cost to taxpayers
- 32 convictions in his administration during an 8-year term
- Record deficits
- 7.5% average rate of unemployment
- Supply side (voodoo) economics
- Billions wasted on Star Wars spending, escalation of arms race, which delayed nuclear weapons reductions
- Leveraged Buyouts of $64 billion/year destroyed many good businesses and companies [see also: vulture capitalism and Mitt Romney]
- Destruction of the labor movement
- At least 130 separate investigations against the Defense Department’s largest contractors
and not listed in the photo above; Ronald Reagan was severly racist
Dick Cheney, when he was Vice President of the United States
#just gonna put this up for kicks and giggles (via politicalprof)
Dick Cheney’s classic line must have been chanted today during the Republican-led House vote on lending taxpayer-backed billions to Ukraine banks.
Trying to get basic banking services to cash Social Security and disability checks was a persistent source of anxiety for Patricia Geary, A 65-year-old Philadelphia resident. She receives her payments in paper form, but since she didn’t have a checking account, she had trouble figuring out how to convert them into usable form.
“It was so stressful,” she told me. “It put me in such a fragile and depressive state that I had to seek out professional help at times.”
Commercial banks have too many hidden fees and minimum balances that are too high to help her. The check-cashing places she relied on require large fees for her to get cash and even more fees to convert some of that cash into money orders to pay bills. Keeping her money entirely in cash made it hard to budget well and left her vulnerable to theft.
(Photo: Stephen Lam/Getty Images)
The distinct “death panel” knowledge came from within. They built that!
1. Why are you angry at the poor people, and not at the corporations who make them poor by paying them shit wages even though they can easily afford to pay them more?
2. If you think poor people should have stricter limits on what they can buy with their welfare money, why don’t you feel the same way about corporations? Why don’t you care about corporations using their bailouts (which use much more tax money than welfare) to give themselves big bonuses instead of to create jobs?
this man ran a country for 8 fucking years
He’s my favorite. Gettin down in Africa.
he’s your favourite… Excuse me but are you actually fucking serious
"I call this my ‘Turn a Surplus into a Deficit’ dance. I would show y’all by ‘Invade the Wrong Country’ dance, but Cheney’s still walkin’ me through it."
see, he’s a human being, dare a I say a good person. I disagree with is politics, but I still respect him for being crazy enough to want to be president and try to help this country.
You have a really, really weird definition of the word “help.” I wish it were as simple as I disagree with him politically. But it’s not; he took a massive budget surplus and threw it out the window, handing needless tax breaks to his rich buddies (which did the exact opposite of create jobs), started not one, but two wars (one under false pretenses), advocated torture — and oh yeah, oversaw the largest financial collapse since the Great Depression.
What you call help, I call ruin — and a mess that we’re still cleaning up, in large part because those in this man’s party are too damn petty and racist to actually do anything remotely good for this country.
I’m through being nice and respectful. This man belongs in prison, not shaking his entirely too white ass in another country.
saw something on facebook that really pissed me off because I worked at McDonalds for three years.
In an episode of the sitcom Roseanne from 1989 the characters talk about being paid 8 dollars an hour and how they can barely afford to live. 1989.
If you don’t believe fast food workers deserve a living wage, cook your own fucking food.
[P]erhaps the most bizarre element of watching the Crimean situation unfold through a US-centric lens: the iron-clad certainty of the pundit class that Putin is winning and Obama is losing. The exact opposite is true.
Putin has initiated a conflict that will, quite obviously, result in greater diplomatic and political isolation as well as the potential for economic sanction. He’s compounded his loss of a key ally in Kiev by further enflaming Ukrainian nationalism, and his provocations could have a cascading effect in Europe by pushing countries that rely on Russia’s natural gas exports to look elsewhere for their energy needs. Putin is the leader of a country with a weak military, an under-performing economy and a host of social, environmental and health-related challenges. Seizing the Crimea will only make the problems facing Russia that much greater…
You don’t have to listen to the “do something” crowd. These are the same people who brought you the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan, among other greatest hits. These are armchair “experts” convinced that every international problem is a vital interest of the US; that the maintenance of “credibility” and “strength” is essential, and that any demonstration of “weakness” is a slippery slope to global anarchy and American obsolescence; and that being wrong and/or needlessly alarmist never loses one a seat at the table.
The Only Thing “Free” About Free TimeClick the image below to wear this design!
House Speaker John Boehner says raising the minimum wage is “bad policy” because it will cause job losses.
The U.S. Chamber of Commerce says a minimum wage increase would be a job killer. Republicans and the Chamber also say unions are job killers, workplace safety…